Do small things with great love. (St. Mother Teresa)
Update Attachments – :
Welcome to the new school year! I am so excited to begin this new year with all of you and can’t wait to see all the amazing things that will happen throughout this year. My update will be sent out each Friday and is full of information that I hope you will find helpful. I hope that you will enjoy reading it as much as I enjoy preparing it each week.
Just a friendly reminder that there is NO PARKING on Augier Street in front of the Golf Course from 8:00-9:00am or 3:00-4:00pm. Please use the other side of Augier for parking/dropping off. Thanking you in advance for your attention to this matter.
TAKE A LOOK AT WHAT HAPPENED THIS WEEK…
- Tuesday was an Inservice Day for all staff. We spent the day in meetings and ended our day with a presentation from Blue Cross on “Co-creating Healthy Teams”.
- Wednesday our students arrived at school for their first day! 😊 The energy was exciting, and it was so wonderful to see everyone! A special welcome to our new families. We hope you enjoy being part of this amazing school community.
- Wednesday morning, we had our “Welcome Back to School” assembly. The grs. 7 & 8 students also had an assembly in the afternoon.
- Our Kindergarten students had their “Meet the Teacher” on Wednesday and began their Kinder Blue/Kinder Gold staggered start on Thursday.
- This morning, we had our first fire drill of the new school year.
- Today was our “Welcome Back BBQ!” Thank you to our Board of Directors for hosting, Roscoe Catering, and all the parents who volunteered in various ways to make our BBQ so successful! It was so much fun; we can’t wait to do it again next year!
LOOKING AHEAD TO NEXT WEEK….
- Kinder Blue/Kinder Gold staggered start continues next week until Thursday.
- Our Parent Advisory Council is hosting their first meeting of the new school year on Thursday, September 14th @ 6:30pm in the school cafeteria. All are welcome to come, and feel free to bring a friend!
- Friday, all our Kinder students will come together for the first time. Parents are invited to a “Kinder Parent Coffee Meet & Greet” with Administration in the school cafeteria at 8:45am.
LOOK WHAT’S COMING UP….
- Lifetouch Picture Day is on September 18th.
- Private Music Lessons (PML) begin on September 19th for those students registered.
- Enrichment classes for our grades 7 & 8 students also begin on September 19th.
- “Meet the Teacher Evening” is September 20th @ 6:30pm. Please join us!
- New staff to SCCS will be participating in a “New Staff Workshop” with our Superintendent at the Archdiocese office on September 21st.
- Our annual Christian Service Day and Terry Fox Assembly/Walk is on September 22nd.
- Our first School Mass is on September 26th.
- Our staff will take part in our annual URIS Training on September 28th.
- Orange Shirt Day is on September 29th.
- National Day for Truth & Reconciliation is September 30th.
- Golf starts on Tuesday. Golf is full.
- Please make sure your BASC form is submitted before attending.
- Reminder as there is a lot of info out there: In the morning for drop off you can text me between 7 am and 8:15 am, when you are at the doors. We will gladly come and greet you at the door. FOBS do not work in the mornings.
- After school FOBS work starting at 4pm. Before 4pm, if your child is in BASC just text me.
- There is No BASC on October 3rd.
- Next week forms will be available from me for BLINE (Ju-Jitsu), Tennis and Baton Twirling. There will also be a Halloween Craft and Full Day BASC Field Trip for October. Forms will be on the website in a few weeks.
If you have any questions at all about BASC or programs, please do not hesitate to contact me by text or email.
MEET THE NEW STAFF AT SCCS THIS YEAR
Hello SCCS Community! I am happy to introduce myself as the new kindergarten teacher! With 10 years of teaching experience, primarily in the K-2 range, I am thrilled to be joining the team here at St. Charles. Teaching young minds and watching them develop a love for learning is truly a rewarding experience for me. I am dedicated to fostering a supportive and engaging environment where each student can thrive academically, spiritually, and socially. My husband and I are blessed with two wonderful children, aged 6 and 4. My eldest, Ariella, will also be joining the St. Charles community as she enters grade 1. I am honoured to be a part of the SCCS family, and I look forward to getting to know each of you and your children.
Warm regards, Mrs. Sofia Fliangos
My name is Ellie Chouzouris, and I am most excited to be teaching Grade 6 at St Charles this year. I was born and raised in Winnipeg and grew up in the Fort Richmond community. I am a 2016 UofM Bachelor of Education grad.
My most recent teaching experience is from working with the province as a remote learning educator. I got the opportunity to work with students from all around the province in my online classroom teaching Grades 5 and 6.
I come from a Greek background and one of my passions is folk dance. I’ve been with the Kefi dance group for over a decade and Folklorama is always a highlight of my summer. I have also grown up in the St. Demetrios Greek Orthodox Church community where I have been a part of our Greek language school as a student and teacher, our Sunday School, and summer camp.
I am looking forward to being a part of the St. Charles community and I wish everyone a blessed and healthy school year!
My name is Sonia Longo-Bertolin. I was born and raised in Thunder Bay, Ontario. I have been teaching grade 8 core French for 24 years at Pope John Paul (previously Sacred Heart) for the last 22 years. I have been married to my wonderful husband Rob for 20 years and we share 2 amazing boys, Lucas, and Matthew. Lucas is 17 years old, and Matthew is 15 years old. Lucas and Matthew are the reason that I am in Winnipeg embarking on this great adventure with you, the St.Charles community. Lucas and Matthew had the great opportunity to make the U18 Rink Academy hockey team. They are still young, and I want to help them transition on their new journey. I feel very fortunate and grateful to have this opportunity to work at St.Charles while I support my children at the same time. Some added information about me – I come from Italian immigrant parents. So, my first language was Italian, next I learned English and when I was in grade 4, I was introduced to French, and I fell in love with the language. I have a true passion for languages and cultures. As an Italian, I love to talk, eat, and cook. I enjoy fitness (walking and working out) and reading. I am also interested in fashion and music. I look forward to meeting you.
My name is Melysa McEvoy, and I am the new grade 5 teacher. I am in my second year of teaching and I am very excited to be part of the St.Charles Catholic School community. My family has attended Our Lady of Perpetual Help parish for many years. My younger brother is a former student of St. Charles Catholic School. During his time as a student, I spent a couple months volunteering in classrooms, observing teachers, and creating lessons. Volunteering at this school changed my career path and inspired my love for teaching. I have previously worked at Gonzaga Middle School where I taught grade 7 and coached the volleyball teams. I am very excited to use my skills and knowledge to contribute to the community here. Most weekends you can find me walking down the Harte Trail or biking through Assiniboine Park. I am very excited for this school year and to be part of the community here at St.Charles.
PUFFERS / EPI-PENS /MEDICATIONS
If your child has an asthma puffer or an epi-pen or any other medication that needs to be here at school and is outlined on your child’s Medical Form, please ensure that you send your child with that puffer/epi-pen/other medication. Epi-pens MUST be carried on the child at all times in a fanny-pack/cross-body pack during his/her time at school; there are no exceptions. Asthma puffers must either be carried on the child in a fanny-pack/cross-body pack during his/her time at school or be left in the Front Office Medical Cupboard to be kept here during the school year should your child need to have it administered at some point. Puffers/epi-pens/other medications should not be held in backpacks because should the medication be needed in an emergency; all school staff must have quick knowledge of whereabouts and access (on person or in Front Office) to your child’s medication for quick administration. If you would like to have an extra puffer/epi-pen at school for your child over and above what they are carrying on their person in their fanny-pack/cross-body pack, you are welcome to keep an extra here in the Front Office Medical Cabinet. There are times when fanny-packs/cross-body packs for puffers and epi-pens are forgotten at home and having a back-up can be lifesaving. Should your child need medication administered at random times during the school year (anti-biotics for example), medications are to be brought to the Front Office by a parent/guardian, the child’s Medical Form is to be noted by a parent/guardian, and the Front Office will administer the medication as per the instructions left. Children should not have any oral medications (for example Tylenol, anti-biotics, medicinal throat lozenges, etc.) on their person or in their backpacks/lockers/desks; these medications should be brought to the Front Office to be administered. Thank you!
HOW DOES THE CHILD ABUSE REGISTRY CHECK PROCESS WORK FOR VOLUNTEERING AT SCCS?
When the school year begins, if you plan to volunteer with our school, it is the policy of the Archdiocese that all volunteers have a cleared Child Abuse Registry Check (CARC) on file with our school. Families must apply every school year at St. Charles Catholic School; there is no cost to you. You must submit a CARC application complete with current and valid ID’s to the Front Office if you plan to volunteer with us; there are no exceptions. Applications are collected, reviewed, and verified in the Front Office by Ms. Jaremowich and then the bulk of the applications are submitted to the CAR office in downtown Winnipeg. The process for the CAR office to do their checks and verifying takes anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks. Once the applications with them are completed, they are returned to us here at SCCS; generally, in mid to end of November. Once the cleared applications are back at SCCS, a list of cleared and eligible parents is made, and those parents are now permitted to volunteer with us. If you are a new parent here at our school, you are unable to volunteer with us until your CARC is submitted, processed, cleared, returned, and on file with the Front Office. Existing families who have cleared CARC on file with us from the previous school year and a new CARC application submitted for the current school year, are able to volunteer right away as there is a short time period of carry over from one school year to the next. It is important to submit your CARC application as soon as possible at the beginning of each school year so as not to delay your volunteering efforts.
CARC APPLICATIONS WERE SENT HOME WITH ALL STUDENTS TODAY, FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 8, 2023.
PARENT ADVISORY COUNCIL (PAC)
On behalf of the Parent Advisory Committee (PAC) I would like to Welcome everyone back to St. Charles. I hope you were able to enjoy the Welcome Back BBQ put together by our Board of Directors and connect with a few of the Parent Reps that were onsite.
This is an invitation for you to attend our first PAC meeting of the year on Thursday September 14th at 6:30 PM. We will be gearing up for the upcoming year and would love to see new faces at the meeting. We are currently looking for PAC members and there may be some open spaces for Parent Reps so if you are interested in participating in either fashion, please make plans to attend.
If you have any concerns, questions or suggestions, I can be reached at the PAC Chair email which is firstname.lastname@example.org. Looking forward to another wonderful school year.
Nikki Robert, PAC Chair 2023-2024
ST. CHARLES CATHOLIC SCHOOL – Old Dutch Chips Fundraiser
Purchase Old Dutch Chips for only $11 per case!
Perfect for school lunches or Halloween Treats!
Orders Due: September 22nd, 2023
Chip pick up date: October 12th, between 3:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m.
Any questions or concerns, please email: email@example.com
Please see permission click link for further details.
As we embark on a new school year, we are comforted to know that Jesus is our constant and devoted companion.
It is said that every journey begins with a single step. Let us take that first step with confidence, knowing that we do not travel alone. We know that Jesus watches over us and will give us what we need to persevere. Amen.
Wishing you a wonderful, peaceful weekend.
See you all for our first “full school week” next week!