I am the bread of life. Whoever comes to Me will never go hungry. (John 6:35)
Update Attachments – Shelmerdines Winter Fundraiser / School Musical
Flu season continues to be on an upswing at SCCS this week. I am currently tracking the number of absences amongst both staff and students. Many of our staff and students have been away ill or sent home due to being ill.
Please do not send your son/daughter to school if they are symptomatic, ill or have a fever. Having symptoms which are improving after being ill are understandable, and students can return to school at that time.
Once again, here are some preventive measures to help you manage this flu season.
Here are some preventive measures to help you manage this flu season.
- Each day monitor for any signs or symptoms of illness
- Stay home when symptomatic or sick
- Wash your hands often and sanitize if need be
- Practice respiratory etiquette by sneezing and coughing into your arm
- Respect individual choice regarding mask use
Here are the public health guidelines still in place regarding COVID-19:
LET’S LOOK AT THIS WEEK IN REVIEW:
- Volleyball playoffs started this week for our competitive teams.
- School Mass was held Tuesday morning, and Fr. Robert celebrated the Mass with us.
- I attended a meeting on Tuesday morning for the Manitoba Federation of Independent Schools. This year, I am happy to sit on the Board of Directors for the Manitoba Federation of Independent Schools and be able to be part of such a wonderful organization.
- Subway lunch was on Wednesday for those students who ordered.
- Our PAC Meeting was held on Wednesday evening.
- On Thursday, our students participated in an assembly on Storytelling & The Treaty Relationship. It was a very interesting assembly, and students were given a good overview of how we can learn a lot through stories about the treaty relationship we are learning about today.
- Today our cast was revealed for our school musical! Excitement was high, and there were many surprised students! Please see the attached photo to find out who our cast will be for Mary Poppins Jr.
WHAT’S COMING UP NEXT WEEK? Looking Ahead ……
- Advent begins on Sunday, November 27th.
- Our Advent prayer services for each grade level begin on Monday morning.
- Report cards will be distributed on Monday afternoon.
- Enrichment classes are on Tuesday for our Middle Years students.
- Our annual Kindergarten Open House will be Tuesday, Nov. 29th @ 6:30pm.
- Powerschool re-opens to parents Tuesday morning.
- Pizza day lunch will be on Wednesday for those students who have ordered.
- On Thursday, our Grs. 5-8 students will be going on a field trip to the Moose Game.
NOT TOO FAR AWAY…
- Roots of Empathy will be starting in December for both our Kindergarten classes.
- St. Nicholas Day will be on December 6th.
- Bline, Pom & Cheer Recitals will be held on Dec. 5th & 6th.
- PML Recitals will be held on Dec. 7th & 8th.
- Shelmerdine’s pick-up will occur on Dec. 9th from 3:30-4:30pm.
- Popcorn Day will be held on Dec. 9th.
- Reconciliation will take place for our Middle Years students on Dec. 13th over at St. Charles Parish.
- Our annual Christmas Concert will take place in-person on Dec. 16th at Our Lady of Perpetual Help Parish at 1:00pm & 6:30pm.
- Christmas Spirit Week will begin Dec. 19th. More information to follow.
- Last day of school before Christmas holidays is Dec. 21st. School Mass will be at 9:00am, and students will be dismissed at 11:35am. There is no PM BASC that day.
You may have noticed that our St. Charles and Sansome drop-off location for our Grs. 4-8 students are no longer being supervised. We had this drop-off location for a month, however, our average number of families dropping off was 2-4 on a given day. Therefore, we have suspended that drop-off point. A very special thank you to the parents who helped with supervision.
The vast majority of the Child Abuse Registry Check applications that SCCS submitted to the CAR office in downtown Winnipeg have been processed and have been returned to SCCS. Please feel free to call the Front Office at 204-837-1520 to see if your CARC is back and on file with us. If your CARC is here, you are free to volunteer with us for the rest of the school year and that is great news! Any applications that have not yet come back to the Front Office from the CAR office should be returned to us soon as they have been trickling in here and there. Thank you everyone and happy volunteering!
With cold and flu season heavily upon us, it is important that you call or email the Front Office to report your child being absent each and every day that they are away. You can leave the Front Office a voicemail at 204-837-1520 any time day or night to report an absence. You do not need to speak with someone in the Front Office directly to report your child being away; leaving a voicemail when it is convenient for you to do so is perfectly fine as voicemails are checked on a very regular basis throughout the day, especially first thing in the morning! =) If emailing is easier for you, please email email@example.com with a quick note to let us know that your child will be absent; emails are checked on a very regular basis also. Thank you, families, and stay well!
OUR COMPETITIVE VOLLEYBALL TEAMS—CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH TEAMS THIS VOLLEYBALL SEASON!
COMPETITIVE GIRLS TEAM
The competitive girls’ volleyball had an excellent season of growth in both skill and chemistry. Finishing with an impressive record of 7-1 in the regular season, losing only their first game, the SCCS Chargers improved each and every game. We are so proud of the team’s performance in the last game where the team had their best game as a whole and individually. We are so proud! Great season! Charger strong!
Ms. Carter & Mrs. Marsh-Hamm
COMPETITIVE BOYS TEAM
The competitive volleyball season has ended, and the boys put forth an all-star performance. Racing out to a 5-0 with challenging competitive games against some of the top schools in our league, our boys showed they belonged. They qualified for the Tier 1 playoff bracket for only the second time. They fought hard right until season’s end and grew in their volleyball skills and abilities. They have represented the school unbelievably. Charger strong!
OUR DEVELOPMENTAL VOLLEYBALL TEAMS—CONGRATULATIONS TO BOTH OUR TEAMS THIS SEASON!
DEVELOPMENTAL GIRLS TEAM
The developmental girls’ volleyball team had a fantastic season of learning how to play the sport. These girls showed dedication and perseverance as they developed their serving, bumping, and volleying skills. Most importantly, they showed a growing love of volleyball. It has been a pleasure watching them grow in confidence and skill. Chargers Strong! ~ Ms. Gel and Mrs. Mardis
DEVELOPMENTAL BOYS TEAM
The developmental boys’ volleyball team had a fantastic season. They worked on their skills including serving, bumping, and volleying. They made a lot of skill progression as the season went on and won multiple games and won the tournament! It has been a pleasure watching the boys grow their skill, learn how to work as a team and to call the ball. Keep working hard boys you did amazing! Chargers Strong! – Ms. Copeland and Mr. Vechina
CHRISTMAS HAMPERS INITIATIVE FOR THE ADVENT SEASON
Once again, SCCS has partnered with St. Paul the Apostle Parish to help with Christmas hampers for families in need. Each grade level has been assigned specific items to bring in, and if you are looking to support in other ways, we are also accepting cash donations in the front office to purchase gift cards for Christmas presents for these families.
Here is the list of items needed at each grade level:
- KL – Spaghetti and spaghetti sauce
- KF – Pancake mix and bagged candy
- Gr.1 – Pancake syrup and canned soup
- Gr.1/2 – Oatmeal (not instant) and canned vegetables
- Gr.2 – Rice and tea
- Gr.3 – Stuffing and canned tuna
- Gr.3/4 – Peanut butter and fruit juice
- Gr.4 – Scalloped Potatoes and jello
- Gr.5 – Cookies and gravy mix
- Gr.6C – Cake mix and jam
- Gr.6V – Sugar and canned spaghetti
- Gr.7 – Coffee and canned fruit
- Gr.8 – Cereal and Macaroni Cheese
Thank you in advance for your support.
- There is BLINE on Monday.
- There is Cheer & POM on Tuesday.
- There is BLINE on Wednesday.
- Thursday is a new month.
Please make sure your December BASC form & payment is submitted before attending.
If your child is going even just a few times to BASC, forms are still needed before attending,
Please leave the form and payment in the mailbox at the front of the school.
- BLINE Testing is on Monday, December 5th at 4:45 pm in the main gym.
- Cheer/POM Recital is on Tuesday, December 6th at 4:45 pm in the main gym.
New sessions start in January for BLINE, Cheer, POM, there is a New Year Craft, full day field trip, K-2’s baking cookies, grade 3 & 4 baking donuts and grades 5 to 8 rolling sushi, limited spots with registration date of December 16th.
On Monday, November 29th there is a Musical Bake Sale. All items will be $0.50 to $2.00.
All money raised goes towards the costs of the musical.
There is a Musical Christmas Candy Gram in December.
Thank you for your support.
The Musical Team
PRIVATE MUSIC LESSONS
Is your child interested in taking Private Music Lessons?
If so, we currently have openings in our Guitar, Voice, and Piano studios for Terms 2 & 3.
Please contact Mrs. Gregorchuk at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
I look forward to hearing from you!
KINDERGARTEN FOR THE 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR
If you have a child who may be ready for Kindergarten for the 2023-2024 school year, please contact Mrs. Newman at email@example.com for more information. Our Kinder Open House is coming up quickly on November 29th @ 6:30pm, and applications will be accepted beginning that evening and going forward. As a current family, make sure that you secure your spot. Thank you to those parents who have already reached out to us.
FlipGive Black Friday Sales – Annual Online Fundraising Campaign
The Black Friday sales are on and they are hot! You won’t want to miss out! Check out the St. Charles FlipGive app to find out more.
Quick Signup page:
Or enter this code in the app: NB7F49